Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cruise Ship themed dessert table

This year's theme for the Teacher Appreciation Luncheon at my sons' school was a Cruise Ship.
I was stumped! Seriously. How in the world do you decorate like a cruise ship? And after
looking all over the web for inspiration, I still had no clue.

So then I started to think . . . "What is on a cruise ship?"

•Nautical flags
•Bright blue water
•Wine/Champagne
•Well dressed crew
•Towel animals

So that gave me something to go off of at least.

I went to my local Joann Fabrics store and picked up yellow, blue, red, white and black felt. 
Felt is very inexpensive and easy to work with as it doesn't fray. Following the nautical alphabet flags that I found online, I made about half the alphabet flags using nothing but scissors and hot glue. I used a white rope to hang them on!

Then at about midnight I was online watching video tutorials on how to make towel animals like they leave in your rooms. I have to say, my elephant turned out pretty darn good! I also wipped up some food label cards with two little anchors on them!

I really didn't have a plan as to what the layout of the table would be. Mainly because it was super late at night and I didn't feel like "mapping" it out. So I winged it. I just brought a whole bunch of stuff that went with a travel/cruise ship theme.

•Two globes
•Some grassy plants
•Empty Wine Bottles
•The DIY nautical flags
•Towel Elephant
•Skipper Hat ($10 at Party City)
•Fabric with a water pattern on it (Joanns)
•Left over rope from the flags
•Vintage Suitcase
•Burlap for table cover







No comments:

Post a Comment