Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vintage 1st Birthday

I started planning McKinley's 1st birthday right after he was born. He was about three weeks old to be exact. I came across this blog, Young House Love
They did a photo "quilt" with their daughter. It was amazing! {check it out here}
I NEEDED to do this with McKinley! I was too late to do a weekly one, so I opted for a monthly one.
Here's how it turned out!


Now you're probably wondering how this has anything to do with his 1st birthday. Well, really it has EVERYTHING to do with it. I planned the entire party around the colors of the fabrics used in the photo quilt. In fact, I used the actual fabric to make most of his decorations. It truly was so special!



DIY Number Wreath . . . tutorial coming soon! 


The brothers . . .


DIY Hot Air Balloon Paper Lanterns . . .



Notice the bunting flags hanging from the ceiling . . . made from the 12 fabrics!


Vintage paper straws, coordinating balloons . . . a vintage flair.


McKinley's Cake . . . simple . . . DIY Cake topper


Bunting cake topper





DIY Fabric covered party hats



The Food labels were all handmade by myself and coordinated with the invite (below)









DIY hand sewn paper napkins & yarn wrapped letters



Photo credits to the amazingly talented Kim Klein Photography LLC

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog when I searched for "paper lantern hot air balloons" and I love what you did with yours! I would like to do something similar in my nursery. Do you have a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a tutorial. But I can tell you how to do them very easily.

    I bought a set of three paper lanterns at Hobby Lobby for $4.99. They were three different sizes. I hand painted with craft acrylic paint the design on the lanterns. I just googled vintage hot air balloon to get an idea of what I liked.

    I was lucky enough to find the three baskets at Goodwill for only 99¢ but I believe you can also get those at Hobby Lobby.

    All I did was use twine and hot glue. I started by glueing the twine in three even places in the top. I kinda folded it over to the inside. Then I glued a little bit mid way down. And then the basket.

    The bunting flags were just cut out little triangles of fabric glued to bakers twine. Then swaged evenly and glued. Then I just added the buttons with glue again at every little peak.

    Hope this helps! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I wanted to do a book theme for my son's first birthday as well (loved what you did with yours by the way, super cute!). I was just wondering how to get around needing a copy release to get an image from the book printed on a cake and also an image blown up w/o the form. Any suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete